Now ONLINE! Get the QWEL advantage . . . at your place.
This professional certificate training is highly rated by industry pros and recognized with the WaterSense® label.
Scroll down to choose from live webinars and college courses.
Get connected by adding your name to the list. We’ll let you know about training opportunities as they’re added.
2020: Sep. 23 – Nov. 5 online (English)
Earn your QWEL certificate this fall. Convenient online webinars meet twice weekly via Zoom.
Training offers increased soil, irrigation, scheduling, programming and water use efficiency knowledge and proficiency.
New registration is limited to landscape pros who work and/or live in San Diego County. Training is made possible by the San Diego County Water Authority and its member agencies.
Dates: Wednesday and Thursday, see schedule below
Time: 2:30 to 3:30 PM
- Wed. Sept. 23 Class 5 – Irrigation systems. Water pressure, component sizing, application devices and application rates.
- Thu. Sept. 24 Class 6 – Troubleshooting and Maintenance. Identifying and resolving issues.
- Wed. Sept. 30 Irrigation Math Refresher. Get to know your calculator with this preview of basic water budget calculations.
- Thu. Oct. 1 Class 1 – Water cycle, watershed, water supplies. Regional sources and how water is measured and billed.
- Wed. Oct. 7 Class 2 – Sustainable landscaping principles and practices
- Thu. Oct. 8 Class 3 – Soil properties, issues and optimizing water interaction.
- Wed. Oct. 14 Class 4 – Plant water needs. Master basic water budgets and irrigation water requirements.
- Thu. Oct. 15 Class 7 – Auditing irrigation systems – Part 1. Learn distribution uniformity testing and transform issues into efficient irrigation.
- Wed. Oct. 21 Class 7 – Auditing irrigation systems – Part 2
- Thu. Oct. 22 Virtual Turf Irrigation Audit – Part 1
- Wed. Oct. 28 Virtual Turf Irrigation Audit – Part 2
- Thu. Oct. 29 Class 8 – Irrigation scheduling. Integrating plant water budgets and soil properties to validate run times.
- Wed. Nov. 4 Class 9 – Controller programs, stations, cycles and sensor options.
- Thu. Nov. 5 Class 10 – Case study – What 70% water savings looks like. How to apply QWEL principles and practices.
- 3-hour Exam: We will coordinate an in-person exam at San Diego county workplace locations (minimum 3 participants) with QWEL certified proctor.
- Online exam If you are interested in an online exam, please contact us. A fee may apply and is currently estimated at approximately $35.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is required. A confirmation email will include your personal webinar link.
2020 Fall – MiraCosta College: Irrigation and Water Management (Course is full)
QWEL training is a component of HORT 126: Irrigation and Water Management. Enroll in this 17- week MiraCosta College course and you’ll get QWEL training and earn college credits. Course description.
Begins: Aug. 24, 2020
College tuition and fees apply.
MiraCosta College (Oceanside)
Instructor: Kevin McKernan, QWEL, Associate Faculty